Daphne's Adventures

 
Daily Doses:
Currently Reading:
Good For My Eyes:

Sydney Opera House
To Name A Few:
Blogs About Books:
Awesome Authors:
Good For My Ears:
When I Have Time:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

24 - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Beauty and the Geek - CW

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lost - ABC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Family Guy - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Simpsons - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I Love Lucy - Fox

Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
She stood at peril's threshold --then love beckoned her in…
A prim, well-bred gentlewoman, Sara Fielding is a writer who puts pen to paper to create dreams. But now curiosity is luring her from the shelter of her country cottage into the dangerous world of Derek Craven -- handsome, tough, and tenacious -- and the most exciting man Sara has ever met.
Derek rose from poverty to become the wealthy lord of London's most exclusive gambling house. And now duty demands that he allow Sara Fielding to enter his perilous realm of ever-shifting fortunes -- with her impeccable manners and her infuriating innocence. But there is a hidden strength and sensuality to the lady that captivates him beyond his better judgment. And in this world, where danger lurks behind every shadow, even a proper “mouse” can be transformed into a breathtaking enchantress -- and a cynical gambler can be shaken to his core by the power of passion and the promise of love.


So this is the second LK book I've read, the first being When Strangers Marry. I have to ask, how can this author be the same person who wrote WSM?? I enjoyed this book ten times more than the other.

This is my kind of story. I love it when the heroine is all innocent and the hero is just such a rebel. I didn't love love Sara, but I thought she was great. A little stupid for walking alone in the streets at night, but other than that... she was awesome because she never held back her feelings for Derek. Yes, she did deny it a little in the beginning, but I don't blame her. I loved the struggle she had with her feelings for him, considering she was engaged to Perry and had been with him for several years. That scenario was just very believable to me.

Now let's turn to the infamous Derek Craven, who I've heard sooo much about, but never knew which book he was from. I really liked him. He wasn't as "hardened and suspicious" as the book describes. I thought he was caring, otherwise he wouldn't have thought he wasn't worthy of Sara in the first place. I love that this type of man let an innocent not-his-type girl get under his skin. I was a little unsure about Derek was when I saw his poor spelling in that letter he wrote. It had me rolling, and my first thought was... "aww he's not that smart!" I immediately compared that to Ian Thornton, who I remember could do math and read super fast. But, I also forgave Derek's spelling when I realized the poor guy had it so rough growing up. I can't imagine how I would've been able to learn how to read, so I'm totally giving props to Derek for that.

Loved Derek, but I don't think he's the BEST out there. For one thing, I didn't like the whole cockney accent thing. This also applies to the writing in general.. it slows down the reading for me when I have to see words like "Crawen" "Newer" Oh and here's another thing I was kinda eh about... I understand he was so upset when he said goodbye to Sara, but it seemed a tad bit pathetic that he became this drunken cranky broken-hearted man. Come on Derek, even your factotum or whatever he is said you need to get a grip.

But all in all, I really enjoyed this story. The momentum just kept going and I didn't feel like there were times when I just wanted to put it down. I'm a little disappointed that considering he was the most influential man in England, he couldn't stop Joyce Ashby. But I guess her character was a necessity to show us why Derek got sick of living the lifestyle he was living.

I'd give this one 4 out of 5. I can definitely see myself rereading this one again and again.

posted by Daphne @ 11:07 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Isabel said…

    I love Derek. Love him. I know Holly doesn't see what's so great about him. But I don't care. lol

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Daphne said…

    haha it's okay.. i think he's great. i want to read more LK!!

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    I didn't say there was anything wrong with him..SHEESH! I just...don't understand. I mean, he's ok, but he's just not ERRRRTHING! LOL

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Rowena said…

    Hmm, never read these books before.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who Is Daphne?

Name: Daphne
Home: California, United States
About Me: I love to read, especially romance books. I love to play, especially computer games and puzzles. I love to dance, especially lindy hop. I love my family and friends.
See my complete profile
Blogroll Me!
Other Romance Readers:
Well Hello There

Further Dissection
Other Cool Cats:
Other Obsessions:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

YTMD

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sudoku

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Swing Dancing

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gaming

Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daphne's Adventures Template by Isnaini Dot Com and all posts and other content by Daphne unless otherwise mentioned