Daphne's Adventures

 
Daily Doses:
Currently Reading:
Good For My Eyes:

Sydney Opera House
To Name A Few:
Blogs About Books:
Awesome Authors:
Good For My Ears:
When I Have Time:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

24 - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Beauty and the Geek - CW

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lost - ABC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Family Guy - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Simpsons - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I Love Lucy - Fox

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Monday, July 21, 2008
G'day mates! I'm back from Sydney. Wow. That's all I can say. Even better than my last trip in 2006. Partly because I had already done the typical touristy things in '06, hence no pressure to do/see everything, and partly because World Youth Day (WYD) was AMAZING. I can't even fully describe in words how much the experience meant to me. It was a combination of fun, excitement, energy, deep spirituality, and the best chance to meet people from over 140 countries. Yes, that's right... 140 countries. I can't even name 50 countries in my head. I'd say the event had about 250,000 - 300,000 people, and the closing mass with Pope Benedict had about 500,000.

Here's a breakdown of my trip:

Thursday night (LA): Got upgraded to business class, so I actually enjoyed the flight to Sydney.

Saturday morning (Sydney): Arrived about 6am. Took the train directly to Circular Quay, and my hotel was about a block away from the train station. After checking in our bags, we (my friend L and I) walked around Sydney and ate breakfast at a local cafe. Then we met up with Kat from Blogland, at the Temple of Love, an interesting but tasty chinese restaurant near Darling Harbour. Kat is a sweetheart, and her children are adorable. We then went to the Lindt chocolate cafe for hot cocoa and then took the bus to an area south of Sydney. We parted ways and L and I went to register for WYD. After registering we checked in our hotel, freshened up, took a nap, then met up with Grace and her friends. We had tapas at a Spanish restaurant, followed by clubbing at the Ivy till about 2:30am (a big feat for me to stay up that late). Met some random Aussie at the club and don't ask me how it happened, but I let him kiss me goodbye. These aussies sure like to kiss.

Sunday: Slept in, had lunch with L and Grace on a small cruise ship that took us from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay. Great view of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Then went to mass at St. Patrick's followed by a nap, and then dinner with a friend of my dad's.

Monday: Went to the Wildlife Park, followed by lunch with an aunt. Then we toured the Opera House, and Hyde park/St. Mary's Cathedral. Bought a bunch of WYD gear. Went to see Mamma Mia! the movie that night.

Tuesday: Opening mass for WYD. I have never seen so many flags from so many countries in my entire life. The crowd was amazing. The energy, neverending. It was freezing cold the entire time, but well worth it.

Wednesday: Morning, watched The Dark Knight. Followed by more WYD events, including workshops, outdoor concerts, and conferences. I really enjoyed Christopher West's session on Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body. Excellent talk.

Thursday: Papal arrival. I got a glimpse of the Pope in his "Pope mobile." It was such a blessing to see him and I truly felt his holy presence.

Friday: Stations of the cross (basically, a reenactment of Jesus' suffering and death on the cross). Followed by more outdoor concerts.
Saturday: The Pilgrimage walk. We walked for about 5 miles or so to the Randwick Racecourse, where thousands of pilgrims would camp out for the night in anticipation of Sunday's closing mass. Unfortunately, L and I had to leave Sat night since our flight was early Sunday morning. It took us about 2 hours to walk there and 2 hours back. Crazy huh? But sooo worth it. I think about 500,000 attended the closing mass.

So to sum up WYD... I highly recommend it to those young people who want to make a deeper connection to God and to Catholics around the world. There is NO experience like it. I think there were more people there than the Sydney Olympics.

Now for the news I'm sure you're all dying to know. I met someone.

Let me start by saying, that it was totally unexpected and my feelings for him are strong. I don't know what's going to happen with us, but I'm pretty sure he likes me too. Physically, he's NOT my type. At all. He's not someone I would've seen down the street and thought, oh hey he's cute. So the fact that I miss him so much seems to be an indication of how much I like him.

So the basics. I met him at registration on Saturday while waiting in line. He's 3 years older, he's a lawyer, and he works for a rival Big Four firm. When I first met him, I wasn't attracted to him or anything, we just made small talk, joking about how long the line was taking. We ended up exchanging business cards and mobile numbers. I stashed his card somewhere in my purse, not even thinking that we would meet again. But he ended up inviting L and I to meet up with his group, since he knew we had no big group to hang out with.

L and I ended up meeting up with him every day for the rest of WYD, and I guess with each day, the friendship grew. He makes me laugh, he jokes with me, and he's also very spiritual. We had many discussions about our Catholic faith, and it made me realize how important that is to me. My ex, Benny, was not Catholic, which didn't bother me much. But now that I've been to WYD, I can honestly say that in my heart, I want a good Catholic man in my life.

I don't know how it happened, but things started getting flirty between us. Just little things, like giving me hugs, warming up my hands when it got cold, text messages to me saying "Good morning gorgeous." Stuff like that. During our final night, when we were attending the evening vigil we traded beanies. He said he liked my beanie, and I said it was from my brother, who gave it to me after visiting Japan years ago. He said his was from his visit to Japan also, and so we traded. The next day he texted me saying he was glad we swapped beanies because it was like I was still there with him.

So the only bad part, is that he lives in Sydney. I miss him already. We're already exchanging emails and I'm already thinking of doing a rotation to Sydney. Talk about a new motivation to pass my CPA exam. I will keep you all updated as things progress, but I just wanted to share with you guys that I'm so happy right now. I haven't felt this way in a long time (what, 6 years maybe?) and it feels wonderful.

Labels: ,

posted by Daphne @ 8:04 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Natalie said…

    Awww....I'm sooo happy for you. He got the answers to his prayers. See everything works out in the end and things happen for a reason. ;)

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Rosie said…

    Wow, Daphne that's wonderful news. Congratulations and God bless you both.

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Kat said…

    I didn't think of it when you first told me, but I'm TAKING CREDIT! Because if we hadn't caught the bus, you would not have been in the line together. So I'm taking credit. I've never been responsible (however indirectly) for a hook-up before. :-)

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Blogger ~ames~ said…

    Wow! Sounds like you had a great time. :P

    That's cool about your man. hehe

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger Rowena said…

    Awwwww Daph!!! Awwwwww!!! I was just emailing with Grace about your trip and then I started blog hopping and saw your post! Awwwww...I'm so happy for you sweetie, so frickin' happy!

    I'm so glad that your trip to Australia was off the chains great, you deserve nothing but the best and I'm going to pray that things work out for you and your man!

    I'm so glad that you had a good time with Grace (I'm still laughing at Grace's phone call with the both of you under the influence, LOL) you guys are too cute! I wish I was there!

    Awwww, too effing cute!

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    Aww bebe! I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip and WYD sounds amazing!

    About the boy...I'll be thinking of you.

    Much love, sugar!

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow. WYD sounds like an amazing experience!! So glad you had a positive trip and experience.

    And a man?!?! How awesome. It was always very important to me that I marry a man who shares my faith....it makes life so much less complicated.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who Is Daphne?

Name: Daphne
Home: California, United States
About Me: I love to read, especially romance books. I love to play, especially computer games and puzzles. I love to dance, especially lindy hop. I love my family and friends.
See my complete profile
Blogroll Me!
Other Romance Readers:
Well Hello There

Further Dissection
Other Cool Cats:
Other Obsessions:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

YTMD

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sudoku

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Swing Dancing

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gaming

Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daphne's Adventures Template by Isnaini Dot Com and all posts and other content by Daphne unless otherwise mentioned