Daphne's Adventures

 
Daily Doses:
Currently Reading:
Good For My Eyes:

Sydney Opera House
To Name A Few:
Blogs About Books:
Awesome Authors:
Good For My Ears:
When I Have Time:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

24 - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Beauty and the Geek - CW

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lost - ABC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Family Guy - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Simpsons - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I Love Lucy - Fox

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
Sunday, April 16, 2006

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood. The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.

This is the first time I've read something in this genre (dark paranormal type stuff). I thought I'd give it a chance since I've been getting bored with my usual stories. I'm gonna admit, at first I didn't like this at all, but now this series has grown on me.

I'm not really swooning over Wrath but I thought the story was very entertaining and just a fresh read. I honestly don't think I can be completely attracted to a vampire. I hate vampires. Even though these guys are portrayed as "good guys" and don't feed on humans, it's still....creepy! Whenever I see the word fangs, I cringe just a little bit. And the creepy scenes with Mr. X.... I always skim over those because they are pretty gross to me. The way he and Omega kill/torture people just give me the heeby geebies.

Wrath's first encounter with Beth was just...WOA!! Slow down, talk about raw animal attraction. While I thought the scene was hot, it just seemed too soon! I'm really not about having sex with people you barely know. Considering Beth almost got raped in an alley, you'd think she would be smarter than to have sex with a random guy who just mysteriously broke into your house. Ugh.

Then there's Wrath's whole blindness thing. The whole time I was picturing him like Ben Affleck in the movie Daredevil. But it still seemed a little unsexy to me that he wore sunglasses 24/7. J.R. Ward's writing also made it seem like he wasn't blind at all. I can understand if she would say "he felt her presence in the room" but she would always just say he could "see things." It was a little weird for me, and had she not flat out said he was blind, I never would've guessed.

There was a secondary romance in the book that I absolutely loved. This of course was between Beth's human friend Butch and Wrath's shellan, Marissa. I felt so bad for Marissa at first, for being Wrath's shellan for hundreds of years, but never experiencing any reciprocating passion from him. But the more I thought about it, the more I think she brought it on herself. You'd think after all those years, she would have spoken up. I felt bad that she had to see those visions Wrath had of Beth. But in the end I'm glad she accepted their situation, and moved on. I can't wait for her romance with Butch to continue.

I'm going to give this one a 3 out of 5.
posted by Daphne @ 9:59 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Rowena said…

    Love this book, oh gosh I'm so glad to see you blogging sweets! Love it!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who Is Daphne?

Name: Daphne
Home: California, United States
About Me: I love to read, especially romance books. I love to play, especially computer games and puzzles. I love to dance, especially lindy hop. I love my family and friends.
See my complete profile
Blogroll Me!
Other Romance Readers:
Well Hello There

Further Dissection
Other Cool Cats:
Other Obsessions:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

YTMD

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sudoku

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Swing Dancing

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gaming

Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daphne's Adventures Template by Isnaini Dot Com and all posts and other content by Daphne unless otherwise mentioned