Daphne's Adventures

 
Daily Doses:
Currently Reading:
Good For My Eyes:

Sydney Opera House
To Name A Few:
Blogs About Books:
Awesome Authors:
Good For My Ears:
When I Have Time:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

24 - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Beauty and the Geek - CW

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lost - ABC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Family Guy - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Simpsons - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I Love Lucy - Fox

Gen Y
Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I've been getting really annoyed with Gen Y kids these days. I realize I'm being a total hypocrite because technically, I was born in 1982, so that makes me a Gen Y kid. Whatever. This post is mainly referring to people younger than me at work. The staff in our firm who are either right out of college or have gone through one year with the firm. I could go on and on about work related issues of why I'm annoyed with Gen Y kids, but instead I'm going to focus on one specific topic - Gen Y's who live in the Orange County (the OC).




I've never lived in the OC, but now that I work here, I realize that the culture is so different from how I grew up in LA county. Take my friend Alex, for example. Last night we were driving home from swing dance class, and he turned to look at me, saw the sweater I was wearing, and said "You might want to put that thing in a shredder. It makes you look like a hobo." I just shrugged and said "Meh, I'm not trying to impress anyone at dance class, and I sure as hell ain't trying to impress you."


Then we got back to my house (where his car was parked) and we were talking about text messaging. Well apparently my phone doesn't have all the neat gadgets his does because he said my phone was old and I needed a new one. Hello! I just got this phone less than a year ago. And to finally seal the deal and kick me when I'm already down, Alex finishes with "Yah, you live at home, your car is old, your phone is old, and you wear hobo clothes. You must have a lot of money saved up." I guess I was tired because it didn't really sink in... until this morning.


I swear I woke up this morning just feeling angry. Not the way to start the day. I realized, hey wait a minute, that was pretty insulting and mean of him to say all those things to me last night. How dare he! Sorrrrreee if I don't drive a new Audi like you, or drive a BMW like oh I dunno.. at least five other staff I know in our office. Seriously now, is there something I don't know about the staff pay? Should I quit and get rehired as a staff? How can they afford beamers? Answer... they don't. Their parents help them out. Which is fine, I'm not pissed about that. But I am pissed that these kids have pretty much lost touch with reality and what is considered "poor/ghetto" to them is not to most others. And meanwhile I look like a square to them because I'm saving money rather than living it up. How does that make sense? That is classic Gen Y right there.


So yah, I'm really pissed and hurt by Alex right now and I think I'm going to ignore him for awhile. I think in general I'm just so sick of the whole OC culture and snobbish attitudes. This is yet another reason why I don't want to move here.

Labels: , ,

posted by Daphne @ 8:32 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    After we talked about this earlier today I started thinking about all the OC clients I've worked with...they're the same way.

    You just need to get it go, babe. Oh, be pissed at Alex for sure, but you don't need to stress about what he says. You're doing it right by living at home and saving.

    I think you're tres cool, babe. And I'm the only one that counts, right? :P

    Love you!

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Blogger Rosie said…

    This is a subject I could go on and on about...and did with my first post. My sons struggle with their friends a bit with this too because we've made them both work and save. They have so many friends whose parents bought them cars and don't make the kids work for anything.

    It comes down to understanding yourself and sticking to your own personal goals and plans. I think Alex was just downright rude. The fact that it seems he's clueless how rude he was is pretty sad.

    I was thinking about how mature and practical you sounded and was pretty proud of how you handled yourself with him. Stick to your plans one day Alex will be scratching his head wondering how come he can never get ahead and you'll have a great place to live and a nice car.

    A good, happy, fulfilled life is always the best revenge.

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger nath said…

    Seriously, you don't have to care about what Alex said... You have a car with four tires and a wheel and it'll bring you to the same place that Alex's new Audi will. As for gadgets on cell phones, seriously, who needs sooo many?

    it's much better that you are able to save money, than live beyond your means. Seriously, how many of your friends are in debts? It'll catch up to them, I swear.

    Also, by living at home, does that mean with your parents? because I do too... and I think it's an Asian thing.

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger Isabel said…

    Don't pay attention to alex. That was rude of him.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Daphne said…

    Yah, I'm not mad anymore. And you guys are right. I'm happy with my situation and that's all that matters.

    Holly - thanks for listening to me vent yesterday

    Rosie - Yup yup, I was nodding my head reading your comment. I know you raised your boys well.

    Nath - Yes I do live with my parents. It's all good though because we get along and I love them.

    Izzy - You lived at home till you got married to Joey right? I seriously don't understand why people scoff at that concept. =/

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Not to defend the O.C. (even though I do live there) but that sort of behavior is hardly limited to So. Cal. My English-teaching sister has told me stories that make my hair curl. When did it become "out of touch" to teach your children personal responsibility?

    There's no shame in knowing how to BUDGET! Seriously. But this is coming from the girl who refuses to spend more than $30 on a new purse. I'm just a freak like that....

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    Wendy, if you're a freak,so am I. I have no idea why people spend more than $10 or $15 on something that you use to carry crap around in. Ugh.

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger Lynne said…

    Dude, I'm with ya on the OC mentality. It's become way to materialistic and snotty for me. This is why I'm bouncin' ASAP.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who Is Daphne?

Name: Daphne
Home: California, United States
About Me: I love to read, especially romance books. I love to play, especially computer games and puzzles. I love to dance, especially lindy hop. I love my family and friends.
See my complete profile
Blogroll Me!
Other Romance Readers:
Well Hello There

Further Dissection
Other Cool Cats:
Other Obsessions:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

YTMD

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sudoku

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Swing Dancing

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gaming

Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daphne's Adventures Template by Isnaini Dot Com and all posts and other content by Daphne unless otherwise mentioned