Daphne's Adventures

 
Daily Doses:
Currently Reading:
Good For My Eyes:

Sydney Opera House
To Name A Few:
Blogs About Books:
Awesome Authors:
Good For My Ears:
When I Have Time:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

24 - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Beauty and the Geek - CW

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lost - ABC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Family Guy - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Simpsons - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I Love Lucy - Fox

It wasn't a date!
Monday, April 23, 2007
I didn't realize so many people cared about my non-existent social life, but since it's Monday and I'm already receiving numberous emails/texts/IMs about Friday night, here's the story to shut you all up. (hehe, j/k)

So two weeks ago my coworker invited me to his open mic night he and his roomies were hosting on their front lawn. He lives right by the beach and I figured it'd be cool to do something than my normal Friday night dates with Borders. It was a really fun experience, just to chill on the lawn, meet random people and oogle hot guys. Well apparently I must've made an impression on this guy (let's just call him Rob) because Monday morning my coworker said "hey remember that guy Rob from Friday?" Me: "No." Coworker: "oh. well anyway, he asked me for your number, and I gave it to him, is that okay?" Me: "Well shoot, I guess it's okay since you already gave it. But I seriously don't remember what this guy looks like."

Anyway, flash forward to Friday night. We went to this business-y networking event, that included dinner and a guest speaker. I was nervous for a lot of reasons. 1) I'm still somewhat recovering from my last 5 year relationship with Benny 2) I had no idea what this guy looked like (I vaguely remember talking to him and thinking at the time that he was cute) 3) This is technically the first time a random guy has asked me for my number 4) I had no idea what to wear 5) I wasn't sure what his intentions were (basically, was this casual or like a real date?)

I decided to go with my professional business suit. I arrived at his place earlier than he expected, b/c when I called he said "oh you're here already?! shoot, i'm not ready yet, but let me get the door for you" So he opened the door, and invited me in. Well hello there, I thought to myself. He's pretty cute. I stepped in and he gave me the up and down perusal. (By now I'm already blushing) "Wow, you look great," he said. "Thanks, I wasn't sure if this would be appropriate for tonight," I replied. "Oh no that's perfect, you look great. Okay have a seat and I'll be ready in a few minutes." He was ready in about 8 minutes and we left and got in his spiffy truck. He opened my door of course, and we headed over to the hotel where the dinner event was.

We got there kind of early so we decided to walk the grounds and chat/get to know each other better. One thing that was embarrassing... I borrowed my mom's new cute pumps (my work pumps are a bit old fashioned looking) and they were a little looser than I thought so I was taking major baby steps. Well, we crossed this wooden bridge and wouldn't you know it, my heel gets caught in the gap. I almost fell, it was so embarrassing, but he helped me up and I just laughed it off.

So moving on... we arrive at the hall and sign in. I notice right away that I'm the minority in the crowd. I was pretty much the only asian girl in the predominantly caucasian-filled room. It's not really an issue for me, but I did stand out like a sore thumb. He politely introduced me to acquaintances and I think I was able to carry on conversation pretty well. I do have experience in attending these business type events. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intimidated by the crowd. There were top execs from major companies all over the room, CEOs, CFOs, etc. Yah, I was a little scared.

We sat at our designated table (thankfully the back corner) and were joined by 4 more ppl at our table. Twice during the evening I heard comments made to Rob like "Wow, is that your guest? She's a cutie, good job" or "Better hold on to her, she's beautiful." It was a little awkward because hello! I'm standing right here I can hear you ppl! Yet flattering at the same time, yes, definitely nice to hear that. We had a nice dinner, chatted a bit, and then listened to the guest speaker.

The only "weird" part about the evening was the fact that the majority of attendees were LDS, and I wasn't. That's totally fine, and I knew it was going to be like that, but a lady asked me a question that totally caught me off guard. She said "what school did you go to?" followed by "oh that's nice. Were you a part of the Institute?" Okay. For me, the only institute I know of is a mental institute, so I had this really confused look on my face. I said "sorry, I'm not sure I know what the institute is." Well that was pretty much the dead giveaway that I'm not a LDS. She was extremely nice about it though, and whenever other LDS terms came up she just politely explained them to me. Dang, I thought I knew my basic terms already. Guess I missed the memo on the whole institute thing. It's ok no biggie.

So after the event was over we started to head out. An announcement was made saying we could bring home the table centerpieces. Rob said "Sweet, I'm going to take ours I want to give it to this girl." .......**cricket cricket** I guess he realized immediately what he said because he followed it by "Oh no but don't worry, she's like 43 years old and she's a neighbor of mine." Hahaha! Oh that was priceless. I just started laughing and said "It's okay you don't have to explain." We went back to his place and from there we kinda wanted to hang out more but wasn't sure where we could go. I said, we don't have to go anywhere we can just hang out here.

So we went back to his place, I had a change of clothes (no way I was gonna keep wearing my suit and stockings) and put on my jeans and sweater inside. He went inside to change too and when he came out he had a button down collared shirt and a sweater over it. Well the buttons were crooked and the shirt was all lopsided. He said "Oh shoot I think I might need your help." Hm. That was kinda weird. haha. We then sat on the couch and just talked. Talked talked talked, about work, school, family, his mission, music, all kinds of things. It was really relaxed and I didn't feel as nervous as the dinner event. At one point we looked back at the program and were looking through the names of the execs. He got up all close to me so he could read it too, and I swear, it was... I dunno. Nice? LOL

It was a little after 11 when I left, and he walked me to my car. Told me about the next event and said he'd love to hang out again. Then he gave me a hug. So that's pretty much it. My non-date! It wasn't a date okay people?

Labels: ,

posted by Daphne @ 2:11 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Kyla Armstrong said…

    That's it, now you have to become LDS:) ROFLMBO!!!! Will wouldn't talk about Institute because we never went. We had religion classes at BYU, so we didn't go to Insitute. You're too cute! I hope you had fun and stay away from Benny, he's bad news! ;)

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Daphne said…

    Mormy - okay that makes sense then. I was like... dude, how come Will never mentioned that term before? Haha! Oh well, it was still fun.

    Well Rob and I will just be friends, but if you know some single LDS gals, I would totally recommend they meet Rob. He's a good catch!

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Rowena said…

    LOL, you're too cute Daph...it was too a date, even if just a hang out date! =)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who Is Daphne?

Name: Daphne
Home: California, United States
About Me: I love to read, especially romance books. I love to play, especially computer games and puzzles. I love to dance, especially lindy hop. I love my family and friends.
See my complete profile
Blogroll Me!
Other Romance Readers:
Well Hello There

Further Dissection
Other Cool Cats:
Other Obsessions:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

YTMD

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sudoku

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Swing Dancing

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gaming

Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daphne's Adventures Template by Isnaini Dot Com and all posts and other content by Daphne unless otherwise mentioned