Daphne's Adventures

 
Daily Doses:
Currently Reading:
Good For My Eyes:

Sydney Opera House
To Name A Few:
Blogs About Books:
Awesome Authors:
Good For My Ears:
When I Have Time:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

24 - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Beauty and the Geek - CW

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lost - ABC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Family Guy - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Simpsons - Fox

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I Love Lucy - Fox

Raintree Haunted
Tuesday, August 14, 2007


It's been a long time since I did a book review. I admit I've been too lazy to write book reviews, mainly because I've enjoyed most of my recent reads. After all, (in my opinion) it's so much easier to write bad reviews than good ones. I find that either people don't review bad books because it's not "worth their time," or they do review them because there's more substance to discuss. I fall within the latter. With that said, I hope you will understand why all of a sudden I'm reviewing Raintree Haunted by Linda Winstead Jones.

This is the second book in the Raintree Trilogy, the first being Raintree Inferno by Linda Howard. I had read many mixed reviews (mostly bad) for RI, but honestly I didn't think it was that bad. RH takes place at the same time as Dante's story, except this time we meet Gideon Raintree - a homicide detective who can talk to ghosts and channels electricity through his body. Gideon is teamed with a new partner, Hope Malory - a strong woman driven by logic and reason. The whole story basically revolves around them trying to solve several murder cases believed to be committed by the same murderer, while simultaneously "falling in love."

My first big gripe about this book, is Gideon. I'm sorry, but this guy is just a big time loser. He harnesses electricity but not once did I see him actually use this power to save anybody. At the very end I was expecting him to kill Tabby (the killer) by electrocuting her. Nope. She first escapes Gideon's interrogation by consuming a poisonous pill. Gideon knows she isn't dead, since he hasn't seen her ghost, but he just lets the ambulance take her away. Yah, smart move buddy. No surprise that Tabby shows up later and this is where I thought okay now he's gonna take her out with a lightning bolt. No, wrong again. Hope shoots Tabby in the head. *rolls eyes* Wow, your powers are so cool Gideon. Not.

I think the only thing his powers were good for was to give Hope orgasms by putting his hand to her abdomen and sending a tiny jolt of electricity to her. Oh please. So speaking of Hope, let's talk about my second gripe. Other than her name Moonbeam being corny, I didn't think she was that bad. I liked that she didn't trust Gideon in the beginning, and that she was on an equal level with him (partner versus victim he's trying to save). However, is it just me, or did she give in way too easily to Gideon's charms (no pun intended)? For someone so strong, independent, and distrusting of Gideon, she seemed a bit trampy once she slept with him. One minute she's suspecting Gideon of being a dirty cop, the next she's having sex with him. Hmmm.

Lastly, I had issues with the Emma storyline. Emma is Gideon/Hope's future daughter, who appears as a spirit to Gideon in the beginning of the story. She warns daddy to stay away from the "bad lady" and says she is arriving soon. Okay Gideon, get a clue... she's calling you daddy and telling you she's coming soon at the same time you meet Hope and instantly want to jump her bones. You don't think there's a slight chance that Emma might be conceived when you have sex with Hope? Ugh. I was seriously annoyed reading Gideon's reaction when he realized Hope was wearing his fertility charm and that she might be pregnant. He handled that about as well as Faith Hill reacting to Carrie Underwood winning the country music award. "You're pregnant," he said sourly. pretty much says it all. Again, I say.. Gideon is a big time loser.

Well, that's all I have to say for this one. One more book to go in the series. I'm not really expecting the third to be a blast either. The first book was corny but entertaining, now it's just going downhill. I hope I'm proven wrong by Raintree Sanctuary. So my fellow readers, this one is getting a 2 out of 5 rating from me.

Labels: ,

posted by Daphne @ 10:28 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    Yep, I felt the same way about this one. I didn't even bother reviewing it, it was that bad. lol

    I think Sanctuary was better, although I still had major issues with it.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Rowena said…

    LOL, I do love reading your reviews Daph, you totally rock my socks..this review ROCKED! haha...Gideon, you're a loser! haha.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who Is Daphne?

Name: Daphne
Home: California, United States
About Me: I love to read, especially romance books. I love to play, especially computer games and puzzles. I love to dance, especially lindy hop. I love my family and friends.
See my complete profile
Blogroll Me!
Other Romance Readers:
Well Hello There

Further Dissection
Other Cool Cats:
Other Obsessions:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

YTMD

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sudoku

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Swing Dancing

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gaming

Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daphne's Adventures Template by Isnaini Dot Com and all posts and other content by Daphne unless otherwise mentioned